Royal Mail customers can develop their own system solutions to produce labels and generate billing data for Royal Mail’s delivery products:
- Print your allocated barcodes directly onto labels
- Make your shipping preparation simpler and more efficient.
A COSS enables the customer to integrate their own internal ordering and warehousing systems with their shipping solution, enabling the production of posting labels that meet both the customer’s and Royal Mail’s requirements and fitting into the customer’s own operational processes. It also enables the production of the despatch manifest to accompany the physical items and generating the pre-advice (where appropriate) and billing information to be sent electronically to Royal Mail.
Who is a COSS for?
Business customers with access to IT development resource and capability.
Customers wanting total ownership of their despatching solution.
Customers wanting a despatching solution which fits with their own operational process model.
Customers requiring an off-the-shelf solution could consider using Royal Mail’s Despatch Manager Online (DMO).
- Enables customers to use their own stationery to produce posting labels.
- Saves time and streamlines end to end process of order and despatch.
- Enables automation of collection documentation and billing information.
- Full end to end integration with Royal Mail and your own system solutions.
- Customers have total ownership of solution.
- Customers may be able to incorporate their own brand to the labels.
- Size and scope of the solution can be tailored to meet customers specific requirements.
There is no charge from Royal Mail for customers using a COSS solution. The customer will be responsible for the development of the application and interfaces and any associated costs.
Royal Mail’s Customer Solutions team are available to provide support and advice in setting up a COSS.
To be eligible to use a COSS solution you must have a Royal Mail business account. Use this link to find out how to open an Online Business Account.
You will need to meet Royal Mail’s requirements for production of manifest and billing information as shown below.
Royal Mail requirements
- There are specific label design requirements for the different Royal Mail products and you will also be required to produce despatch documentation to accompany the physical items being despatched.
- If using the Royal Mail Tracked® suite of services, you will also need to generate pre-advice files in line with Royal Mail’s specification.
- During the development, Royal Mail will need to test a sample of labels to ensure that they meet the design specifications and to test that the barcodes produced can be scanned using standard Royal Mail handheld devices.
- Submission of data to Royal Mail will need to use an AS2, FTPS or SFTP interface protocol.
Note: Your developer will need to liaise with Royal Mail’s customer solutions team throughout the development cycle to ensure specification requirements are being met.
To obtain copies of the specification documents please speak to your Royal Mail account manager if you have one, alternatively contact our Business Help Centre team on 08457 950 950* who will put you in touch with one of our Customer Solutions consultants.
Interested? Want to find out more about what a COSS can do for you? Contact our dedicated Business Help Centre team on 08457 950 950*.
Alternatively, if you already have an account manager speak to them to find out more.
*Calls may be recorded and monitored for training and compliance purposes. Calls cost 5p per minute plus your telephone company's network access charge.